Indigestion Remedies : Don’t you have that one memorable binge eating at a grand dinner which gave you an unpleasant night? A terrible stomach ache with a horrible nausea; and you end up throwing up on the bathroom basin in the middle of the night. Indigestion occurs when there is a bad pain or discomfort in the stomach because of difficulty in digestion of food. It is very common condition occurring in both children and adults of all age groups.
With indigestion being such a common condition, it does not sit well to always run to the doctor to take prescriptions for even the most minor heartburn or stomach ache. It is advisable to treat some of this condition through some very effective homemade remedies made out of natural ingredients that have little or even no side effects before it turns to severe indigestion condition.
What are some of the Symptoms of Indigestion ?
- Belching and gas
- Nausea and vomiting
- An acidic taste in your mouth
- Fullness during or after a meal
- Growling stomach
- Burning in your stomach or upper belly
- Belly pain
- Indigestion chest pain
Causes of Indigestion
The following diseases make a person more prone to indigestion:
- Stomach cancer. This is rare.
- Gastro paresis, a condition where the stomach doesn’t empty properly. It often happens to people with diabetes.
- Stomach infections
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Pancreatitis, an inflamed pancreas
- Thyroid disease
Drinking alcohol during a rich meal may inhibit digestion, but doesn’t aggravate indigestion, according to the research published in the British Medical Journal. It was revealed that the digestion was much reduce in the participant that drank alcohol with their fondue. However the results also shows that alcoholic beverages did not lead to an increase in indigestion problems including belching, bloating and heartburn
Other common conditions causing indigestion are frequent eating or unbalanced eating or early, later stages of pregnancy.
- Binge eating or eating with speed or when you’re stressed. High-fat foods can also add to the problem.
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Stress and fatigue
- Eating disorders
List of foods that cause indigestion or severe heart burn:
- Regular corn and potato chips
- High-fat butter cookies,
- Creamy and oily salad dressings
- Fried or fatty food in general.
- Orange juice,
- Lemon or lemonade
- Cranberry juice
- Mashed potatoes
- French fries
- Raw onion
- Potato salad
Let explore some homemade and natural indigestion remedies:
1. Cinnamon for Indigestion Remedies
Cinnamon is popularly known for its effective home remedy, which of course make it one of the best indigestion remedies that is readily available .Cinnamon aids in the digestive process and can be used to get relief from cramps and indigestion bloating gas.
- You can prepare a cup of cinnamon tea by mixing one-half tsps of cinnamon powder to a cup of hot water
- Allow it steep for a few minutes.
- Drink it while it is still hot for effective results.
2. Ginger for Indigestion Remedies
- Blend 2 tsps of turmeric juice,
- One teaspoon of lemon juice,
- And a pinch of table sodium and black salt.
- Blend the constituents thoroughly and drink it with or without water, whatever suits you.
To make ginger tea mix one teaspoon of grated ginger in a glass of water for 5 to 10 minutes.
Adding ginger as an essence in your recipes can also help if you are suffering from stomach acid reflux
- Add 2 tsps. of ginger juice
- To one teaspoon of raw honey to a cup of hot water and drink it.
- You may also drink homemade turmeric tea to get pain relief from bloating, cramps, gas and stomach aches.
3. Chamomile for Indigestion
Chamomile this is one of the oldest indigestion remedies. It plays an essential role in calming the stomach and soothes the intestinal tracts. A few drop of it would do you good.
4. Peppermint Oil for Indigestion
Peppermint oil is known for soothing and calming intestinal muscle spasms and helps in preventing nausea; which is one common symptom of constant indigestion.
- The best way to consume it would be taking one to two capsules containing 2 mL (1 tsp.) of oil three times a day between meals.
- Or cup of tea brewed in 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried peppermint would do wonders. However this indigestion remedy is not suitable for heartburn. Peppermint essential oil are available here
5. Apple Cider Vinegar for Indigestion Relief
Apple Cider Vinegar is vital in stabilizing a slow stomach. Although it is acidic in nature it has certain alkaline properties that make it a good indigestion remedy. Apple cider vinegar can be consumed with raw honey to make the stomach better.
- One tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar
- One cup of Warm water, and
- One tablespoon of raw honey
- Mix one tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a cup of water.
- You can mix with one teaspoon of raw honey.
- Drink this mixture 2 or 3 times daily for quick indigestion relief.
6. Baking Soda for Indigestion Remedies
Baking Soda is one major reason leading to indigestion is high levels of stomach acids. Baking soda is the most simple and effective treatment as it behaves like an antacid. It can be consumed with a solution in half glass of water. It relieves bloating.
7. Fennel or Anise Tea
Fennel or anise tea brewed with two to three teaspoons of the crushed seeds is another tasty solution.
Sometimes sipping a plain old cup of hot water eases indigestion.
Warm ginger ale, lemon-lime soda or flat cola are old standbys for stomach problems
Home Remedies for Indigestion during Pregnancy
It is common to experience indigestion and heartburn during pregnancy. Women with normal healthy pregnancies will be able to successfully treat the indigestion discomfort and heartburn through simple indigestion remedies. Most women would experience severe heartburn and indigestion during the early and later stages of pregnancy.
- Coconut water acts as great natural acid neutralizer and gives immediate relief to heartburns occurring during pregnancy.
- Fermented foods like raw sauerkraut, kim chi, and kefir contain enzymes and effective bacteria which support healthy digestion. It is important to increase an intake of eating a high protein meal while consuming fermented foods.
- Aloe Vera contains the properties of a natural healing agent. The gel obtained from aloe Vera plants can be applied externally on chest throat and abdomen to soothe any heart burns. Best for treating inflammation curing acid reflux symptoms.
- Yogurt or Milk can soothe heartburns very efficiently. Cow milk guarantees immediate relief. Nut milk, rice milk or goat’s milk are good alternatives. Warming the milk and adding some honey seems to soothe the burning in the chest for most pregnant women.
- High Enzyme Foods Papaya, pineapple, avocados and bananas all contain naturally-occurring enzymes that helps us breakdown our food
Must Read :Quick Heartburn Remedies that Work
Here are the list popular medications to treat or reduce the symptoms of Indigestion.
- Ranitidine oral
- Beano oral
- Lactaid Fast Act oral
- Pepto-Bismol oral
- Milk of Magnesia oral
- Famotidine oral
- Pepcid oral
- Pepcid Complete oral
- Pepcid AC oral
- Cimetidine oral
- Sodium bicarbonate oral
- Gaviscon Extra Strength oral
- Tums oral
- Lactaid oral
- Tagamet HB oral
- Gaviscon oral
- Zantac 75 oral
- Lactase Enzyme oral
- Phillips Milk of Magnesia oral
These are available on Amazon so you can get it now
These indigestion remedies will greatly relieve you from symptoms of indigestion and indigestion stomach pain. Nonetheless, if you are still having severe abdominal pain or excessive vomiting, consult a doctor immediately.