Heartburn Remedies – You just ate something and here comes the burning sensation in your chest that drives you really crazy. A constant irritation and non-appeasing pain, it simply is. Yes, that’s what feels like when you face the condition most commonly termed as heartburn. Relief from heartburn is what you desire on an immediate basis and you search for all the pills that can help you get out of this.
According to data from a research published in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, and a journal of the American Association for Cancer Research… “Continual heartburn was positively linked with cancers of the throat and vocal cord among people who do not smokers and not drink alcohol, and the use of antacids, but not prescription medications, had a protective effect. So we need to combat this menace before it’s late.
What causes heartburn?
But before anything else, you need to know the root cause of this situation. Heartburn is a dreadful state that arises in mostly overweight and older people. It happens when the fat of the abdominal region interferes with the normal functioning of esophagus. There is a sort of door of esophagus termed as esophagus sphincter preventing back flash of semi digested food. This door weakens with aging and hence the mass of food subjected to acidic enzymes for digestion flushes back to your chest causing heartburn pain.
Symptoms of heartburn / Acid Reflux
Heartburn is characterized by;
- A persistent sore throat
- Coughing, and
When continued for a long time, eroding of tooth enamel layer begins. All of this results in a burning sensation difficult to control. Even if you think of lying on the bed or taking some rest, the situation will get worse and the acidic reflux increases its intensity.
List of foods that causes heartburn/foods to avoid with acid reflux
Mostly it depends on individual basis that which food aggravates the problem but the commonly listed foods and drinks include;
According to the research, about 14 million Americans who suffer with chronic heartburn, a piece of chocolate can start as a joy to the mouth, but can end with a severe heartburn in the belly.
The researchers claimed that chocolate significantly escalade the number of reflux occurrences and the acid exposure time in the esophagus for people.
Wei Ming Sun, research scientist, U-M Department of Internal Medicine says ;We all found that the chocolates causes a huge amount of serotonin to be released from the skin cells in the intestines. “The serotonin triggers the lower esophageal muscle to relax. This means the ‘door’ between the esophagus and abdomen is opened and acid solution is permitted to flow back again up to the esophagus.”
Therefore if you have you are suffering from persistence heartburn you may want to avoid chocolate
- Citrus fruits and juices (grapefruit, orange, pineapple, tomato)
- Fatty and rich in spicy foods.
- Coffee; both regular and decaffeinated
- Caffeinated soft drinks.
- Tea, and
- Other caffeinated beverages.
- Garlic and Onion
A nutritionist in private practice in New York City and Woodmere, Taub-Dix says. if you do not want to get heartburn “Keep a food list or log to help you track and know the foods that are your heartburn triggers, and try as much as possible to develop a list of safe and healthy foods.” for instance Foods like
- Baked sweet potatoes,
- Broiled chicken, toast,
- Cottage cheese is very safe for a person that frequently has heartburn. She suggests. “People with heartburn do not do well with either garlic or onion.” Bonnie Taub-Dix, MA, RD, claimed
How to get rid of Heartburn During Pregnancy
Here are what to do to reduce or avoid heartburn during pregnancy:
- Avoid foods that cause or that are heartburn offenders such as; carbonated beverages and alcohol, tomatoes spicy foods, coffee, acidic foods etc.
- Take more liquid food like yogurt, milk, protein shake and smoothies for healthy living
- Get the best sleep position (is better to sleep on your left side) and do not eat 2-3 before bed time to make sure your food has digested completely
- Eat more of fiber; Fiber aids easy and fast digestion, which in turn can assist you in reduce constipation. You can get fiber from whole grains, vegetables, beans, and legumes
- Always make sure you are wearing loose, comfortable clothing. Avoid anything tight around your waist and belly.
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol. Refrain from alcohol and smoking can help reduce heartburn symptoms and avoid bad exposure to potentially harmful substances
Here are recommended meal for you, to eat safely from heartburn during pregnancy.
- 1 handful of whole-grain crackers and 1 ounce of your favorite hard cheese
- 2 ounces of chicken, small quantity of mashed sweet potatoes and of cottage cheese with fruit
- 1 cup of oatmeal plus non-fat milk and 1 apple
- 1 cup of yogurt with fruit or smoothies
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich and 1 cup of vegetable soup
Natural Heartburn Remedies For Instant Relief
Always remember it’s not a hopeless situation to panic and fear. Doctors have cures but natural remedies should be tried first as they have no side effects and in most cases are an optimal solution. Heartburn can be cured very fast by trying the following home remedies.
Having a basic nature, it can immediately neutralize the acidic chime back flushing into your mouth while increasing the pH of your body to normal.
The normal human body pH is slightly alkaline greater than 7 and sodium bicarbonate can easily get us rid of the acidic irritation. So just a little bit of baking soda and there goes the acidic irritation with the wind.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- A glass of warm water
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water that is no more than 8 ounces.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly and drink.
- You can repeat this as needed but should not exceed seven ½ teaspoon doses in a 24 hour period.
- But always keep in mind if this condition prolongs, do consult a doctor and don’t consume baking soda more than a week.
Research has shown that a sugar-free chewing can control your heartburn and contribute as one of the best heartburn remedies. The logic behind this remedy is that chewing gum will increase the amount of saliva when taken after a meal. And chemically saliva is basic in nature which will lead to neutralization of acidic chime in the body and neutralize to normal almost neutral pH of 7.
So for effective result place the chewing gum in your mouth and chew it for about 25 minutes. You will surely notice the difference.
Apple cider vinegar for Heartburn remedies
Vinegar is said to get rid of this ailment but this has not been proved on medical basis. But those who try this one of the heartburn remedies are a great protagonist of its good effects. Probably it sends signal to the brain of not sending acidic flux back from the sphincter as the acidity is already increased to a slight degree.
It is advised to use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar after diluting it with water. But when not diluting it can give more harm than relief as it erodes the tooth enamel.
Every individual is subjected to some personal sort of body reactions to different things, so if you do not feel good using it then try some other remedy.
Slippery elm which has been used traditionally by Native Americans for different wounds and skin inflammation can be the best heartburn remedies.
This herb has mucilage and can line the infected part with the layer of mucous acting as a barrier to its spread. Thus the acidic chime may not find the way up leading to your esophagus. You can get one, is available here
Add about 1 -2 teaspoon Slippery elm to water or warm milk is found to be very effective.
It should be taken at bedtime after the meals.
Ginger Tea for Heartburn Relief
Ginger tea is found to be very advantageous both for common cold and as one of the heartburn remedies.
About 1 to 2 inch of fresh ginger boiled with warm water settles the stomach.
It does so by acting as an acidic buffer, relieving the pain you are facing.
This is one of most effective heartburn remedies.Ripe bananas are rich in alkaline.Alkaline and basic natural foods are what you should opt for in this heartburn condition. Ripe bananas are rich in the element potassium and potassium is highly basis with the most alkaline pH. It can immediately turn the acidic flush back to neutral and provide a natural buffer for this.
But do remember that bananas, when not ripe, are rich in potassium nitrate which is not alkaline and can aggravate your heartburn.
So have a ripe banana daily and fade your heartburn forever and ever.
Apples for HeartBurn
Fruit for life is what everyone says and it’s really true. Fruits are the best things to eat and best of the best heartburn remedies. Eat half an apple after your meals and it will surely work wonders. But do not eat apple before a meal as they will not do any good.
Must Read: Instant Remedies for Swollen Lymph Nodes: Causes and Symptoms
By drinking a small cup of chamomile tea about 2 hours before you plan on going to bed can help reduce the discomfort in your stomach, and possibly balance the level of acidity levels as well.
This also effective for relieving stress, which can trigger acid reflux, and definitely will help you sleep during the night as well. You can use instant chamomile tea, or you |may easily make your own fresh.
- Honey or lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried chamomile flower petals
- 1 cup of boiling drinking water
Note: do not use this for more than a week straight, as it is high in salt and has its own side effects if used more than necessary; It can cause swelling or nausea
- Boil one glass of water in a cooking pot,
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile petals, and
- Allow them to simmer for 45 seconds.
- Remove from heat and let the petals soak for another minute or two before straining them.
- Pour the tea into a cup, and add a little bit of honey or lemon if you wish. Available here
Health is the best wealth one can desire in his or her lifetime. It is a blessing to be cherished forever and never to be taken for granted. Whenever you feel sick, go for the all-time effective home remedies as they will cure you and keep safe from any side effects.