Yoga has become a popular activity in this last few decades. The practice has become popular in schools, gym, and also studios and we do not see this stopping anytime soon. One of the most interesting things to come out of the popularity of yoga is the accessibility for kids. This article is about the best yoga poses for kids that your children can do.
If you think it’s only adults that can benefit from the practice of yoga, then you should think again. Kids have a lot to benefit from yoga. It opens up a lifelong practice that builds healthy minds, bodies and also their spirits.
Teaching yoga to kids will make them explore their fun and creative side while also instilling the practice of a healthy lifestyle in your kids. Before we dive into the best yoga poses for kids, let us take a look at the numerous benefits your kids can derive from yoga.
Benefits of Kids Performing Yoga Poses
It is definitely hard to be a kid in today’s’ world. With so many distractions, frustrations and also the peer pressure, kids have a lot to surmount. However, Yoga can be an inexpensive, healthy tool that will help your children overcome these challenges and at the same help them build a healthy lifestyle.
Yoga is a beautiful art that can offer your kids so many benefits. Some of these benefits include;
Yoga helps to Develop Focus and Concentration
Practicing yoga poses helps your kids to clear their mind. It encourages them to let go of everything else and live in the moment. It helps them to stay focused and this will reflect in their other activities as they will be able to maintain focus even in school. This can help to improve their grades.
- Yoga Strengthens the Mind and Body Connection
Yoga is famous for helping to unite the body and mind, and your kids are not left out of this. These poses help your kids to achieve a sound mind and also connect with their sound body. The poses work their physical body and calm their mental spirit. Your kids will definitely find inner peace practicing these best yoga poses for kids.
- It Enhances Physical Flexibility
All the body’s muscles are used when practicing yoga. Your kids will learn this at an early stage and it will help promote the physical strength. Whatever the pose, your child will become aware of his body and how it functions at an early stage.
- Yoga also helps to Build Self-esteem and Confidence
When it comes to exercises that build confidence, yoga ranks up there. Yoga will provide the building block for the future and your kids will benefit from this. When your kid masters a pose, it will give him or her self-esteem and confidence.
- It also helps to Refine Coordination and Balance
Balance is very important in yoga. Even if your child has trouble standing on one foot at first, she will learn mental and physical balance if she can stay calm whenever she falls and get up to try again.
5 Best Yoga Poses For Kids
After going through numerous yoga poses, we have curated the 5 best yoga poses for kids that your children can perform. This best yoga poses for kids are healthy and will help your kids reap all the benefits of yoga. Listed below are the best yoga poses for kids and directions on how to perform each pose.
1. The Tree Pose
The tree pose is a fantastic yoga routine that your kids should do. It has been around for decades and is a fun balancing pose. Your kids will definitely love the challenge of balancing on one leg. Follow the guide below to perform one of the best yoga poses for kids.
How to perform the Tree Pose
- Stand on a foot and bring your other foot at a rest on your standing leg just below or above the knee.
- Now extend your arms out just like a tree’s branch.
- Encourage your kids to try to move their arms slowly while maintaining their balance at the same time, just like the braches of a tree in the breeze.
2. Candle Pose
You might recognize the Candle as the Shoulder Stand in the adult yoga pose. Kids enjoy this pose because it enables them to go upside down. Be rest assured, it is a great and safe yoga pose. Follow the guide below to perform the Candle pose.
How to perform the Candle
- Begin by lying on your back
- Then bring your hands to the small of your back.
- Now push your legs up towards the sky.
- You can even make this more fun by moving your leg into the upside down tree position.
3. Half Moon Pose
The Half Moon is another great yoga pose that your kids can do. The pose is an easy, yet challenging one. It will help your kids with balance and also with concentration. This is one pose you should encourage your child to try out. Follow the guide below to perform the half moon.
How to perform the Half Moon
- Begin by starting in the Mountain pose.
- Your kid should bend forward and then place their right hand on the floor at a hand’s length away from and just slightly outside of the right foot.
- Then lift up the left leg just behind you and also try to balance.
- Once you’ve found your balance, bring up your left arm as if reaching for the sky.
- Now inhale and look up at your hand.
- Open up your body and expand your chest.
Then place everything back down on the floor and repeat the movement on the opposite side.
4. The Basket Pose
The Basket Pose is one of the best yoga poses for kids. Your kids should definitely try this out. The pose is pretty straightforward and your kid should have no difficulty performing this pose. Below is a guide on how to perform the Basket Pose.
How to do the Basket Pose
- Begin by lying flat on your belly and also place your hands by the side your body. Make sure your palms are also facing up.
- Now bend those knees and reach each your arm back, at the same time also grab the outside of your ankles.
- Inhale and reach your heels upwards towards the sky. Make sure you lift your thighs and heart off the floor.
- Hold this position for a few breaths and look straight ahead as you inhale and exhale
- Gently release your body to the floor when you are ready.
3. Downward Facing Dog
It is important for you to know that any yoga pose that has an animal name behind it is beautiful simply because it enables kids to relate to playful imagery. This allows your kids to enjoy the yoga. The Downward Facing Dog is a classic that has been around for years. Your kids will definitely find this interesting. Follow the guide below to perform one of the best yoga poses for kids.
How to do the Downward Facing Dog
- Begin by making your body into an upside-down V shape.
- Make sure your hands are at a shoulder width apart and feet also at hip-width apart.
- Encourage your kids to walk in this posture just like a “Walk the Dog” pose. Try as much as possible to keep the legs and arms straight.
- 7 Easy Yoga Poses For Two People- Challenge Partner, Friends, and Lovers
- 7 Easy Best Yoga Poses for Beginners and Back Stretches at Home
- Top 8 Yoga Poses You Should Do Every Day at Home for Healthy Living
Yoga poses for kids are awesome. They lay a solid foundation for your kids to enable them to concentrate and also builds their confidence. This best yoga poses for kids will allow your kids to reap the maximum benefit from the yoga routine. Encourage your kids to try out new things and routines. They will definitely enjoy these poses.