Chest Workout Routine – It is most men’s dream to have a powerful looking upper body. It is common to hear questions like, “how do you increase your chest size”, or how do I build my chest muscles without weights?” Some men spend more than an hour in the gym sweating to build a super-sized upper body like Wolverine all with no success.
If bigger chest were on your New Year resolution list, consider yourself now on the right track. Our routines train your chest twice as hard and in a shorter period to yield the best available result.
10 Best Chest Workout for Men – Chest Workout Routine for Mass and Strength
We bring you 10 powerful chest workouts for men that will allow you to boost your pec size and to maintain strength all over your upper body. In fact, in no time you can tone your upper body and get six pack
Chest Workout Routine 1: Dumbbell Squeeze Press
The chest workout with Dumbbell Squeeze Press is good chest workouts for men that targets the inner pecs. By squeezing the weights together during a chest press, all the pressure shifts onto your pectorals. It also increases the upper chest for mass and strength.
This workout engages the pecs throughout the entire range of motion. This helps in maximizing muscle growth and to round out your pecs development.
How to do the Dumbbell Squeeze Press
- You can Lie on a bench and hold a pair of dumbbells.
- Bring your arms straight above your chest with your palms facing each other.
- Let the weight touch each other and slowly lower weight while keeping the dumbbells connected at all times.
- Press and repeat.
Chest Workout Routine 2: Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
The incline dumbbell bench press works the clavicular head of your chest. It is an upper body strengthening exercise that targets the chest, shoulders, and triceps.
This exercise raises your torso thereby activating your often-neglected upper chest and front shoulders. Using dumbbells helps to prevent any strength imbalances on either arm.
How to do the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
- Lie on a bench with the backrest set at an incline angle.
- Hold a pair of dumbbells above your chest with your arms straight and your palms facing each other.
- Use your thighs to help push the dumbbells up.
- Lift the dumbbells one at a time so that you can hold them at shoulder width.
- Once you have raised the dumbbells, rotate your wrists forward so that your palms are facing your feet.
- Breathe out and push the dumbbells up with your chest.
- Hold your arms at the top for a second, then start slowly lowering the weight.
- You must have full control of the dumbbells at all times.
- Repeat the movement until you’re exhausted.
Note: You can use several angles on the incline bench if the bench you are using is adjustable.
Routine 3: Weighted Pushup
The Pushup is a classic and one of the most popular chest workouts for men in the world. Pushups, according to science, are one of the best chest exercises out there.
Adding weight to the classic exercise recruits more muscle fibers and increases the intensity of the movement, making each repetition harder and more challenging.
The weight forces your muscle to work harder and keeps your rep range low.
How to do the Weighted Pushup
- Start with a weight plate, sandbag or weight vest that equals 10 percent of your body weight and assume a push-up position.
- Your arms should be straight and hands slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Bend at your elbows and lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor.
- Pause for a second and then push your body back up.
- Repeat movement until you’re exhausted.
- As you progress, continue to add weight in increment of 5-10 percent.
Chest Workout Routine 4: Close-Grip Bench Press
The close-grip bench press is one of the few multi-joint exercises for the triceps. This workout puts maximum pressure on the triceps during the execution.
It loads up the triceps as well as any other triceps move in your arsenal of choices. This can also be called the Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press. It is the most joint-friendly barbell variation of the bench press.
According to a new study published in European Journal of Sport Science it claims that Muscular activation during workout is important factor for developing muscle mass and strength and the bench press workout is a popular and commonly used method of building upper body strength.
How to do the Close-Grip Bench Press
- Lie back on a flat bench with a close grip (shoulder width) around the barLift the bar from the rack and hold it straight over you with your arms locked.
- As you breathe in, bring the bar down slowly until it touches your middle chest.
- Keep the elbows closed at all times to maximize triceps involvement.
- As you breathe out, push the bar back up with your triceps muscle.
- Pause for a second and then start coming down slowly again.
- Repeat the movement.
- When you’re done, place the bar back in the rack.
Routine 5: Chest Squeeze Pushup
The chest squeeze pushup is another variation of the classic pushup workout. It is an excellent chest workout for men and useful for those that are fond of asking, “how do you get a wide chest”?
This workout tasks your chest and the core. The squeezing action in the workout creates a stimulus that pumps up the muscle fibers in your chest.
How to do the Chest Squeeze Pushup
- Get into the pushup position while holding two dumbbells close to each other beneath your chest.
- Make sure the handles of the dumbbells are parallel to each other with your arms kept straight.
- Keep the weights pressed together as you raise and lower your body to perform a pushup.
- Repeat movement until you’re exhausted.
Chest Workout Routine 6: Decline Dumbbell Bench Press
The decline dumbbell bench press builds serious size by focusing on your lower chest. A lower portion of your chest gets more stimulation while working with a dumbbell.
It is an excellent workout to add mass and build body strength in both the chest and triceps.
How to do the Decline Dumbbell Press
- Set the bench at a 30 percent decline.
- You can use a decline with a leg brace to secure your position.
- Lie down on the bench kicking the dumbbells back with you.
- Bring the dumbbells just outside of your upper chest to start.
- Press the dumbbells up to almost touch the right above your chest.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position.
- Repeat movement until exhausted.
Routine 7: Archer Pushup
There is no arguing that the pushup is one workout that has many variations. The archer pushup is an all-around exercise as it develops your chest, abs, triceps, and shoulders. It also teaches you to stabilize your core.
It is a stepping stone to the one-arm pushup and its best chest exercises for men at home.
How to do the Archer Pushup
- Assume a pushup position with your left hand directly under your shoulder.
- Fully extend your right arm straight out to your side and place your hand on a medicine ball or low step.
- Bend your left elbow to slowly lower your chest to the ground.
- Ensure you keep the brunt of your bodyweight on your left hand.
- Once your chest is just above the floor, push yourself back up.
- Do all your reps on one side and then switch sides and repeat the movement.
Chest Workout Routine 8: Band Barbell Bench Press
This workout is also known as the Chain Barbell Bench Press. It involves adding chains or bands to the ends of a barbell thereby making it unstable.
The instability puts pressure on your core and stabilizer muscles and forces them to kick into a higher degree. This gives your chest a new stimulus thereby promoting strength.
How to do the Band Barbell Bench Press
- Hang a chain over each end of the barbell.
- Start without weight in order to get used to the unstable bar.
- Grab the barbell and lie on a bench.
- Using an overhand grip that’s just beyond shoulder width, hold the bar above your sternum.
- Ensure your arms are kept straight.
- Lower the bar to your chest, and then push it back to the starting position.
- Repeat movement until you get used to the unstable bar.
- You can add in weight to increase difficulty.
Routine 9: Plyometric Pushup
The Plyometric Pushup works a number of muscles in the body which include the pectorals, triceps, anterior shoulder, abdominals and the obliques. It also a good workout for flat stomach and six pack
It is an excellent chest workout for men that increases the ability of the muscle fibers to fire in succession at high velocities. The plyometric pushup is great at increased muscle recruitment in the course of the exercise.
How to do the Plyometric Pushup
- Get into a pushup position with your hands just outside your chest.
- Ensure your feet are shoulder-width apart and your body forming a straight line from head to heels.
- Also, make sure you brace your core.
- Lower your chest to the floor and then press up explosively so your hands come off the floor.
- Repeat movement until you’re exhausted.
Chest Workout Routine 10: Dumbbell Around The World Exercises
This workout is a weight training exercise that targets your pectoral muscles. The shoulder and forearm muscles are also worked on in addition to the pectoral muscles.
It is 360 degrees of motion that help to keep you motivated with added muscle stimulation
How to do the Dumbbell Around the World
- Begin by lying on a bench and holding a pair of dumbbells.
- Ensure your palms are facing up just outside your hips.
- In a circular pattern, lift the dumbbells simultaneously from your hips along the side of your chest to just over the top of your shoulders.
- Follow the reverse pattern back to your starting position outside your hips.
- Repeat movement and continue until you’re exhausted.
How many chest exercises should you do?
The main driver of chest muscle growth is the total volume of work done. As long as you do the adequate volume of work until your body tells you it’s time to take a break. And this volume increases over time, then you’ll do just fine.
The chest workouts for men listed here recruits more muscle fibers and adds a greater load on your muscles. The most important factor is consistency, dedication and the consumption of enough healthy food as your body mass increases.
Most men fancy a good looking and sexy chest but a lot do not dedicate enough time in their daily routines to perform some chest enhancing workouts.
It is important to abide by these chest workouts for men if you really want to build up your chest. In addition, you must remember to consume a lot of healthy food as your body mass increases.