How to get rid of fleas fast in the house– Pet owners are constantly disturbed by the thought of their dog or cat catching fleas. It is a big dilemma for most people as to how to get rid of fleas in the house.There are certain chemicals that combat fleas but most people do not like having chemicals touch their pets.
Others might have a house full of kids and so prefer not to have chemicals around. If you fall into that category, then this article is for you. There are many ways with respect to how to get rid of fleas in the home using natural methods with little on no side effects on your cats, dogs, and pets in general.
Fleas are parasites that feed on the blood of animals. These parasites can easily constitute a big problem in your house by biting both you, family and your friends. Though their bites might not be particularly painful, you will become aware once you have been bitten by fleas. Just like most insect bites, you may experience swelling and itching around the bitten area.
We understand that fleas cause a lot of irritation in the household and getting rid of them can be a total nightmare. You might have probably tried a lot of tricks and tips to help you eliminate these pests all to no avail. Do not lose hope. The following natural remedies for fleas listed below will help you overcome the nightmare with regards to how to get rid of fleas in the home, on cats and dogs
Natural Remedies On How To Get Rid of Fleas in the House and Pets
Those sleepless nights you’ve been having as a result of fleas in your home are about to be over. Fleas love to live on warn vertebrates. That is why they love to feast on your cats, rabbits, dogs and even you.
According to the recent research the cat flea is one of the most abundant and widespread fleas in the planet.At home they can transmits their infections to humans and dogs(1).
Any warm vertebrates, which includes you can be their hosts. You might have noticed that they get to multiply quickly, and the reason is not farfetched. Fleas tend to drop their eggs anywhere inside your home. It is those eggs that turn into larvae and later, into fleas.
Some of you might be wondering how come barely few months after treating your home, fleas appear from nowhere and turn your home into a playground. The reason is simple. Those eggs can remain dormant for a long period of time. They can remain dormant for up to a year and will only become active after you have treated your home. This is why it is important to be on a regular watch for fleas and cleaning the home frequently.
If you fall into the category of those who do not like chemicals around the house, below are some natural remedies to get rid of fleas in the home. These remedies have been tested and proven to help eliminate fleas fast in the house.
1. Essential Oils: ( How to Get Rid of Fleas in the House using Essential oils )
The numerous benefits of essential oils cannot be overemphasized. Essential oils have been proven to have so many uses and their ability with respect to how to get rid of fleas in the home is one of them. They are better for your body than the chemicals that control fleas.
When it comes to using essential oil for pets; dog, cat etc, you should be very careful. All animals are not created equal. Some pets are more sensitive than others, and so you should be careful when using it on pets. You can start small and test for reactions or mix it will carrier oils, olive oil or jojoba oil.
Also, you should know that essential oils are generally not safe for cats. You can choose to use them in your home or dog but keep them away from your cats.
- Use Eucalyptus Oil flea spray and spray on your home furniture, carpet, and beddings.
- Also, put a few drops of oil in a circular motion around your dog’s collar to help get rid of fleas on dogs.
- Do this once every week, until you get rid of fleas completely.
Fleas Spray Ingredients/ Blends
Apple Cider Vinegar, Filtered Water, Lemongrass Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Rose Geranium Oil, Lavender Oil, Citronella Oil, Clove Oil, Peppermint Oil, Cedarwood Oil, Neem Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and White Tyme Oil. Get the Fleas Spray here
Or alternatively you can make it yourself :
DIY Fleas Spray to Get Rid of Fleas on Dogs
- 2 drops of cedarwood oil
2 drops of lavender essential oils
8 oz. of purified water or distilled
- Mixed with water, cedarwood, and lavender essential oils.Spray dogs and their indoor bedding
2. Homemade Flea Powder ( Get Rid of Fleas on Cats )
The homemade flea powder is a very powerful natural remedy with respect to how to get rid of fleas in the home. You can use the homemade flea powder on your dog. If you want to also use it to get rid of fleas on cats, then you should leave out the essential oils.
Below is how to make the homemade flea powder with the ingredients you need. Also included is the direction on how to get rid of fleas in the home using the homemade flea powder.
- 1 cup of Food Grade Diatom Flour or Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- ½ cup of Yarrow Powder
- ½ cup of Neem Powder
- 20 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil ( for cats you may exclude this)
- Mix all the ingredients together and put them in a shaker top container.
- Then apply this mixture from your pet’s head to the tail along the spine. Make sure your pet is in dry conditions.
- Now brush the fur of your pet going the opposite direction. This is to make sure that the powder touches the skin. It should not come in contact with the eyes and nose.
- Also, make sure you rub the powder on your pet’s legs and belly.
- You can apply this once a week.
3. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth For Fleas Treatment
Also known as Diatom Flour, the Diatomaceous Earth is one of the best natural pest control that can help you with respect to how to get rid of fleas in the home. The Diatomaceous Earth is a soft powder that is composed of fossilized remains of diatoms.
These diatoms are tiny aquatic organisms whose skeletons are composed of a natural substance that is known as silica. Diatomaceous Earth is very sharp and this allows it to puncture the exoskeleton of fleas. It can be used in treating fleas on dogs, cats, and your home. You buy it on Amazon. It is safe for kids and pets.
- Dust your dog’s crate with Diatom Flour to repel fleas form your dog while he sleeps.
- You can also directly apply it to your dog. Make sure you work the powder down all the way into their coats.
- Anytime your pet gets wet, ensure you reapply the Diatom Flour.
NB -You should make sure that you avoid the Filter Grade or Crystallized Diatomaceous Earth as it can be dangerous when inhaled over long period of time.
Stick strictly with the Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth.
4. The Flea Trap Home Remedy using Dish-Washing Liquid
This natural remedy is one of the easiest ways regarding how to get rid of fleas in the house. Like the name suggests, it is a flea trap that can help you catch and kill fleas. You can use it to eliminate fleas from your entire house. Follow the directions below to use this method with respect to how to get rid of fleas in home.
- Dish-washing liquid
- Tea candles
- Dinner bowls
- Warm water
- When it is night time, put the dinner bowl on the floor in the middle of each room in your house.
- Fill the bowls with warm water. Do not fill to the brim, just partly.
- Add about a capful of the dish-washing liquid to the water.
- Place a tea candle in the middle of each bowl and light the candle. If you are unable to place it in the center of the bowl, just place it near the bowl.
- Bright light attract fleas. When this happens, the high viscosity of the liquid with the soap traps the fleas.
- By the following morning, you will see the bodies of the fleas inside the bowl or near it.
- You can do this for about 3 to 4 nights if your house is heavily infested with fleas.
5. How To Use Salt to Get Rid of Fleas
Every kitchen has salt lying around. You would be surprised that that common ingredient in your kitchen can help you eliminate fleas. It serves as a dehydration agent and dry out the fleas’ body. It is also an inexpensive way with regards to how to get rid of fleas in the home.
- Finely ground table salt or sea salt.
- A large spice bottle with a shaker top.
- Pour the finely ground salt in your spice bottle. Make sure you do not fill the spice bottle to capacity in order to enable you shake and sprinkle the salt.
- Now sprinkle this salt from the spice bottle over your carpets all over your house. Make sure the salt covers the area evenly.
- Leave it on the carpets for about 12-48 hours.
- Then after those hours, vacuum the carpets thoroughly.
6. Homemade Flea Spray Using Lemons
The homemade flea spray is a perfect and inexpensive alternative to that chemical-filled flea spray available in the market. You can decide to conjure up your own herbal flea spray using only natural ingredients that you can easily get. Follow the recipe below for help on how to get rid of fleas in the home using the homemade flea spray.
- Rosemary leaves
- 6 thinly sliced lemons
- A liter of boiling water
- 3-4 drops of Geranium essential oil
- 1 spraying bottle
- Begin by taking a large bowl and place the 6 lemon slices into it.
- Then take the rosemary leaves and chop them.
- Take the chopped rosemary leaves and add them to the lemon slices already inside the bowl.
- Now add the boiling water and geranium oil to the mixture.
- Cover the mixture and leave it until the following morning.
- When you get up from the bed, strain the water and fill it into the sprayer.
- You can now spray the solution on your furniture, beddings and anywhere infested with fleas.
7. Baking Soda to Get Rid of Fleas
Baking Soda also serves as a fantastic method with regards to how to get rid of fleas in the home. This method is pretty simple and also straightforward to use. All you need is to lay down some baking soda along with your carpets and also your furniture. Then you take a hard brush and rub the baking soda into the fabric. Thoroughly vacuum your home and pour the contents of your vacuum into a waste bag. Securely place this bag in an outside refuse bin.
8. How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Fleas
- 8 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 4 ounces warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix the ingredients together as baking soda dissolve slowly.
- Then pour it into a spray bottle and spray pets down. Be careful not to get in pets ear, noses and eyes area when applying it.
Fleas are annoying pests that you do not want around. Whatever natural home remedies you chose to apply, it is advisable, to begin with, the commencement of the flea season. It is advisable not to wait till your home get infested with fleas before you get rid of them. The above natural remedies regarding how to get rid of fleas in the home will work just fine for you.