Best Obliques Exercises to Get Rid of Love Handles – Some call it love handles, others call it a muffin top, either way, losing the mid-section body fat can be a little bit difficult. Women especially have a hard time getting rid of their love handles. This extra stomach fat can appear out of the blues especially for those women that are experiencing menopause or those that just gave birth. Luckily, there are numerous obliques exercises to get rid of love handles.
Love handles are one of the most difficult areas of your body to tone up. This excess lump of fat that hangs from the waistline can spoil our looks. This problem is so predominant that fitness experts have curated exercises that will help you eliminate them.
These exercises target the oblique muscles and are just perfect for working on that muffin top. Though it might not be a rapid process, but you can be rest assured that these obliques exercises to get rid of love handles will gradually help to reduce those love handles. Read on to find out the best obliques exercises to get rid of love handles.
7 Obliques Exercises To Get Rid of Love Handles, Muffin Top, and Strengthen Oblique Muscles
We know losing your muffin top can be difficult and frustrating. There are various articles on the web that claim to help you lose muffin top. Some of these articles will tell you these exercises work like magic and will help you lose your muffin top fast.
However, you must understand that getting rid of those muffin top is not something that could be done in a few days. It requires patience and dedication to a daily exercise routine. These exercises are those that specifically target your love handles and tones them.
After going through a lot of obliques exercises to get rid of love handles, we have curated the 7 best obliques exercises that can help to eliminate your muffin top. These exercises target your obliques muscle and will gradually help you to lose love handles (1).
Listed below are the 7 best obliques exercises to get rid of love handles that you can perform;
1. Side Plank Crunch
The Side Plank Crunch is a great core body exercise that not only target your obliques, it also strengthens all your core muscles. You also get the additional benefit of adding strength to your shoulder and your upper back.
You should know by now that Planks are one of the best exercises for your core. The Side Plank Crunch adds a variation of the plank that gives you all the benefits of the plank combined with additional strength to your obliques. Follow the instructions below to perform one of the best obliques exercises to get rid of love handles.
- Begin on your right elbow and make sure you place your right foot just slightly in front of the left foot.
- Engage your core and keep it tightened all through the exercise.
- Bring your right knee in towards your chest and at the same time, crunch the left elbow towards it.
- Now bring it back out to the starting side plank position to make one rep.
- You can do 3 sets of about 10-12 reps each.
2. Russian Twist
The Russian Twist is one of the best core body exercises out there. It adds strength to all of your abdominal muscles including the obliques. This great exercise helps to tone your waistline and also gives you a stronger back. If your goal is to have a strong and flat tummy, then the Russian Twist is for you.
There are many variations to the Russian Twist with some preferring to perform the exercise with either a medicine ball, dumbbell, or other heavy objects. Follow the guide below to perform the Russian Twist.
- Begin by seating with your knees bent and your feet placed flat on the floor.
- Hold both your hands just in front of your chest. You can choose to use a dumbbell if you like.
- Make sure you engage your abs and your spine should be straight.
- Slightly lean back and bring your feet just a few inches from off the floor.
- Now twist your torso to the left gently and at the same time, bring your hands beside your left hip.
- Return to the center position and again, gently twist your torso to the right and bring your hands just beside your right hip. This makes one full rotation.
- Perform 12 full rotations.
3. Swimming Workout
You might not believe it, but swimming exercises are one of the best obliques exercises to get rid of love handles or muffin tops. This workout engages your obliques and your abdominal muscles. You do not need to actually enter a pool to perform this exercise.
Just get your exercise mat ready and you’re all set. Are you looking to get rid of those love handles and at the same time add strength and power to your core, then this exercise is a must.
- Begin by lying on your stomach and make sure your arms and legs are extended.
- Engage your abs until you feel the contraction of the transverse abdominis.
- Now bring your legs and arms off the floor and at the same time, ensure your nose is in a hover just above the exercise mat.
- Then flutter your legs and arms and move from your hips and shoulders just as you do when swimming in a pool.
- Breathe in for about 4 seconds and also breathe out for the same number of seconds.
- You can perform this exercise for about 30 seconds.
4. Standing Oblique Crunch
The Standing Oblique Crunch can serve as a fantastic warm-up exercise to begin your daily exercise routine. It is effective in warming up your legs and the oblique muscles at the same time. This is a great oblique exercise that you should consider incorporating into your daily routines.
- Begin by standing upright and ensure your feet is hip-width apart.
- Raise up your right leg and let it touch your right elbow.
- Switch to the other side and perform the same movement on the left leg to make 1 rep.
- Perform 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
5. Pass The Ball
This workout is definitely one of our favorite obliques exercises to get rid of love handles. If you can perform bicycle crunches, then this exercise should not give you much headache. Pass The Ball exercise is like bicycle crunches combined with a degree of difficulty.
The exercise engages all your abdominal muscles, including the obliques and also adds strength and power to your abs. This is definitely a sure way to get rid of that muffin top.
- Begin by lying flat with your back on the ground or on an exercise mat.
- Ensure you engage your abs all through this movement.
- Lift your chest and pull your right knee into your chest. At the same time, you should also hold a ball in your left hand.
- Then pass this ball under the right knee to meet your right hand and crunch up at the same time.
- Make sure you rotate your legs after you make each pass and do not forget to crunch up every time.
- You shoulder blades should also be lifted off the ground throughout the movement.
- Perform this exercise for about 30-45 seconds.
6. Stability Ball Oblique Crunch
Here is another great exercise that can help you get rid of love handles. In addition to working your core muscles including the obliques, the Stability Ball Oblique Crunch also helps to build strength and balance.
A good choice for those looking to get rid of muffin top. The guide below is perfect for beginners that are looking to include the workout into their daily exercise routine. Follow the guide below to perform the Stability Ball Oblique Crunch.
- Begin by placing your feet against the lower section of a wall.
- Then lay sideways on a stability ball that is placed just under the lower torso.
- Stretch out your whole body over this stability ball and then after some seconds, come up and crunch till you feel the pressure on your oblique.
- Return to the starting position to make 1 rep.
- Perform 30 reps on your right, and then switch and also perform 30 reps on the left side.
7. Knee Drop
The Knee-Drop workout is another great exercise in our collection of the best obliques exercises to get rid of love handles. This exercise works the whole abdominal muscles and also adds strength and power to them. It is a great exercise that can be performed using a ball. Follow the instructions below to perform the Knee Drop workout.
- Begin by lying flat with your back on the ground and also ensure you engage your abs.
- Raise your legs off from the floor into a tabletop posture.
- Now squeeze the ball in between your legs and at the same time, engage your lower abs and inner thigh muscles.
- Then drop the knees slowly over to the right side with your abs still tightly pulled in and your lower back flat.
- Breathe out and pull to the center.
- Now breathe in as you bring your knees down the other way.
- You can perform 3 sets of about 8-10 reps on each side.
- 10-Minute Love Handles Workout to Reduce Side Fat and Muffin Top Fast at Home
- Body Fat Percentage Chart-How to Measure Body Fat Accurately at Home
- 1200 Calorie Diet Meal Plans Low Carb For Weight Loss: Lose 20 Pounds in a Month
- 7 Best Bodyweight Exercises for Weight Loss at Home For Legs, Arms, Abs, and Strength
Love handles are difficult and frustrating to get rid of. Fortunately for you, the above obliques exercises to get rid of love handles and muffin tops will help you eliminate this unwanted fat.
In addition, you must also understand that the food you consume will also go a long way to determine how fast you can get rid of your love handles. Healthy foods are also as important as the above exercises. You can rest assured that that love handles will disappear over time with this few tips. As usual, give us feedback in the comment box below.