Exercises for Knee Pain, Swelling, and Stiffness Relief – The knee pain is one of the common types of general joint pain. Knee pain usually experienced by the people of all age and it also depends on the level of activities. Most of the time treatment for knee pain vary depending on the cause and age of the person that is suffering from it.
Have you been feeling sharp pains in your knees that make you lose the strength to walk or even wake up?
Well, the joint pain may be caused by several reasons including arthritis and straining around the knee area. The best exercises for knee pain will help relieve any issues you have with your knees and make your day a little brighter with lesser pains.
It may seem like a punishment to yourself and body to exercise as a means of pain reductions but the effects are imminent and you are guaranteed better results than just sitting down and taking pain medication.
Causes of Knee Pain
- Knee Pain and an Active Lifestyle
- Knee Cartilage Tears
- Arthritis of the Knee
- Rheumatoid Arthritis of the Knee
- Post-Traumatic Arthritis
- Knee Ligament Injuries
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee
Knee Pain Symptoms
- Swelling and stiffness in the knee area
- Redness and warmth to the touch
- Popping or crunching noises while moving
- Difficulty to fully straighten the knee
For an individual with severe knee pain, supervised exercise therapy is more effective in alleviating pain and improving function than usual care, according to the research published by BMJ-British Medical Journal
With good care and knee maintenance, you can keep your knees in good condition with the following 7 best exercises for knee pain.
Best Easy Exercises for Knee Pain and Swelling Relief
1. Supine Hamstring Stretch
How To :
- Lie on the floor with your back straight and place one of your on the wall or door, while you stretch out the other on the ground.
- Pinch your way forward for a deeper stretch or backward for a more relaxed stretch.
- Hold in this position for 10 or 15 slow and deep breaths.
- Change sides and use the other leg that was stretched out on the floor for the second procedure.
- Alternatively, you can use a belt or yoga strap to stretch your hamstrings.
- To get the best out of this best exercise for knee pain, you need to make sure that your spine is stable and lies horizontally to the ground.
2. Lunging Hip Flexor Stretch
How To :
- Kneel on one knee and place the opposite foot in front of you, with the thigh parallel to the ground.
- Move forward to stretch your hip towards the ground.
- To make sure you work your hip flexor nicely, tighten your butt for a more intense feeling that will help relax your muscles.
- Reach up with the arm of your bent knee for a deeper stretch then switch sides to exercise the other leg.
Read: 7 Best Essential Oils for Arthritis in Hands and Pain Relief
3. IT Band Foam Roller Stretch
How To :
- This best exercise for knee pain helps relax your quads as they tighten up from sitting too much.
- Lie down with your front facing down and rest your right leg quad on the foam roller while you support your upper body with your arms.
- Place majority of your body weight on your right leg and roll up through the thighs on the band foam roller.
- For a more effective stretch, roll your leg from side to side as you focus pressure on the tighter spots of your muscle. Hold for 8-10 breaths.
- Switch the legs and hold for 8-10 breaths.
Read :10 Natural Pain Foods That Work for Everybody
4. Figure Four Glute Stretch
How To :
- Lie on your back and cross your left feet over your right quad, just above the knee, and bend your right knee.
- Hold the heel of your right leg and gently pull it towards your chest until you feel a good stretch on the leg. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Switch to your right leg and follow the first two procedures for a good stretch.
- The four figure flute stretch is the best exercise for knee pain as it works the muscles responsible for rotating the hips that have an immense effect the knees.
5. Standing Calf Raise
How To :
- Stand at the edge of a raised ground and drop one heel at a time on the lower surface. That is lower your left heel to the ground while the right heel is half suspended in the air then switch legs to stretch on the other.
- Alternatively, you can use a calf machine then drop both heels at the same time for an amplified relaxation of both knees. Make sure you hold onto the machine to avoid toppling over.
- You can also do the calf raise using a chair where you rest your feet on the ground while standing and hold onto the back of the chair. Slowly lift your heels off the ground and stand on your toes. Hold for five seconds then gently fall back to your initial posture.
Read: 6 Best Exercises for Hips, Thighs, and Legs Pain Relief
6. Partial Squats
How To :
- Find a chair and start the exercise while seated. Bring your arms close together and pinch them in front of your chest.
- Slightly get up from the chair, about 12-inches, with your feet about hip-width apart and your toes pointing outwards.
- Ensure that you have bent at the hips then slowly lower yourself towards the chair but do not sit down.
- Keep your abs tight and your knees are behind your toes and repeat step 2 and 3, about five times.
Read Next: How to Get Rid of Knee Pain Fast |10 Best Home Remedies For Knee Pain
How To :
- The step-up is very similar to the calf raise but it is more of aerobics that works your whole body.
- Find a step bench or steep staircase for the exercise. Step up onto the staircase with your right foot and tap your left foot on the staircase and lower. Repeat several times then put your legs together.
- Step up onto the staircase with your left leg and use the right one to tap on the upper part of the staircase and repeat several times, then fall back.
- Repeat for as long as you can, switching the legs.
- To do this best exercise for knee pain in the right manner, you need to make sure that your knee is directly above your ankle.
If you like it, Share It !!!
References -www.prevention.com/5-stretches-that-will-make-your-knee-pain-go-away,www.prevention.com/fitness/exercises-knee-pain, www.self.com/gallery/best-stretches-for-knee-pain,https://greatlist.com/move/knee-pain-relief
How do i use cocunute oil
Hi Steph, Coconut oil is effective for many health problems and it has anti-inflammatory properties. You start the process by melting ½ cup of coconut oil.
Put it lukewarm oil on affected area by massaging gently.
It will help to improve blood circulation and relieves the pain.