Lower back pain is very uncomfortable, but it is a common condition among people who spend many hours sitting down, at a desk, or driving. Of course, lower back pain can also appear due to injuries and spinal compression, which is triggered by an inadequate position of your backbone or by putting too much strain on it, like when one performs constant physical effort.
No matter how inconvenient this pain may be, it is worth performing some lower back pain exercises in order to alleviate your discomfort than to appeal to painkillers all the time.
What are the causes of lower right back pain?
- Constant Lifting a heavy object,
- Poor posture over time
- Sports injuries
- Poor sleeping position
- Lumbar herniated disc
- Degenerative disc disease
- Facet joint malfunction
- Spinal stenosis
Best Lower Back Pain Exercises for Fast Relief At Home
Here are 7 great lower back pain exercises that can be performed each time you need, so you can get rid of lower back pain fast and easy.
1. Flexing Your Hips
This is a relatively simple exercise and can be performed almost anywhere if you feel that lower back pain is giving you a hard time.
- Put one knee on the floor and one knee up.
- Place both of your hands on the knee that is standing up and stretch the leg that is on the ground behind you, using your toes as support.
- Now gently stretch in this position for approximately 30 seconds.
- Move the position by switching the knee, so you will end up stretching on your other leg as well.
- When switching knees you don’t have to position the other on the floor, as you can only switch from one side to another with ease.
- Do the same exercise on the other leg for another 30 seconds and repeat if you feel necessary.
2. Bringing the Knees to the Chest
For this one of the series of lower back pain exercises, you will have to lie on your back and bend up both of your knees.
- Then take one knee and bring it gently toward your chest.
- In order to avoid putting additional stress on your knee, place both of your hands behind the knee, rather than placing them on top of the knee, during the exercise.
- Switch the knee and do the same with the other knee. Repeat the exercise until you start feeling better
3. Floor Hamstrings
Stay on the floor on your back for this exercise as well.
- Bend your knees once more to get ready for the exercise.
- Now, gently lift one foot in the air, stretching it toward the ceiling.
- In order to support your leg while stretching, put both of your hands behind the hamstring, below your knee.
- You should stretch the leg well enough in order to feel the muscles on the back of the leg being pulled on.
- Do this for a few seconds then switch the leg.
- As you can see, these lower back pain exercises are not difficult at all.
4.Total Back Stretch
This is an exercise that can be performed at work when you feel lower back pain bothering you.
- You will have to be near a table or a desk to do this exercise, which should be at the level of your waist.
- Stand near the table or desk and lean forward, putting your palms on the edge of the table or desk for support.
- Once you have your palms on the table, stretch your entire back until you feel the releasing tension throughout your entire back.
5. Give Yourself a Big Hug
Some of these lower back pain exercises are easy enough to be performed when you are at work or in other areas where you could use some back pain relief, but you can’t lie down.
- So, by standing up, wrap your arms around you, like when you’re giving yourself a big hug.
- Your right hand should be placed on your left shoulder and your left hand should be placed on the right shoulder. While keeping your arms this way, breathe in and out, to release the tension between your shoulder blades.
- You should feel a relief throughout your entire back almost immediately.
6. Lying Down Quadriceps
To get rid of lower back pain through this exercise, you will have to lie on your side, on the floor.
- With your free hand, which is not offering your head support, grab your leg by the ankle and gently pull it toward your bottom.
- Pull on it until you feel your quads stretching and keep it this way for 30 seconds.
- Switch the position and do the same with the other leg as well.
- Stretching exercises are the best lower back pain exercises because the release the pressure that got built up in your spine due to improper posture and physical effort.
7. Spinal Stretch
You will have to lie on your back, on the floor, stretching your arms above your head.
- Your legs should also be positioned straight on the ground.
- Now take one leg and cross it over the other.
- While maintaining this position, with your legs crossed, attempt to stretch in order to take the knee that is above to the ground.
- Switch the legs and do the same with the other leg as well.