Most people want to get rid of the “Powerlifter Belly” and at the same time, want that thick, strong abs Powerlifters are known for. Every year, there are scores of new routines and exercises that claim to strengthen your abs and give you a ripped core.
Although some of these new exercises provide new approach and insight in strengthening the abs and giving you a flat belly, many do not produce the desired effect and may increase your risk of injury.
To avoid falling victim and to ensure a successful routine. It is important to have a basic understanding of how the abdominal muscle functions and how the body burns fat.
Understanding the Abdominal Muscle Functions
To be successful at streamlining the waistline, the first thing that needs to be understood is the difference between “fat” and “muscle”. Some people don’t understand this distinction. They assume that you can turn your body fat to muscle.
You can never lose your body fat if you are not working out and eating healthy diet. Instead, your body starts to lose muscle mass as it sees no reason to keep it. As you lose muscle mass, your metabolism decreases hence, you start gaining additional body fat.
The fat tissue occupies more space under the skin than the muscle tissue. This is because the fat tissue is bulkier and so one pound of fat will have more volume than one pound of muscle.
Also, the muscle tissue burns up a very large number of calories than the fat tissue. The muscle mass utilizes more calories even while you are just sitting down. This explains why individuals who have plenty of lean muscle mass often lose fat so easily.
Fat is excess calories and is stored in layers on top of muscle tissues. Fat cannot turn into muscle and muscle cannot turn into fat. Instead, you lose fat and gain muscle or vice versa.
The best way to thinning your waistline is a combination of intense abs workout routines and a healthy diet that keeps you from gaining additional fat. We have compiled a list of 10 minute abs workout routine at home which you can commit to.
10 Minute Abs Workout Routine At Home to Burn Belly Fat
Now that you have a basic understanding of abdominal muscles, you can start knowing how effective certain routines are. Here is a list of abdominal workout routines with instructions on how to do each one, that can be completed within 10 minutes daily.
Routine 1 – Reverse Crunch and Leg Drop
The Reverse crunch is one of the most effective abs workout routines you can find. If done well, it can be the best thing that ever happened to your abs. All the core muscles are used during this exercise and it places more emphasis on the lower abdomen.
See-Exercises to Lose Belly Fat Fast- 10 Belly Fat Burning Exercises
- Lie your back over a mat or any comfortable flat surface.
- Place your hands underneath your head, webbing your fingers together.
- Make sure your legs are in the traditional crunch position, perpendicular to the floor with your knees at a right angle.
- You must keep your knees together all through the routine.
- Press your lower back into the floor and pull in your belly button to lift your feet off the ground.
- Contracting your abdomen, pull your knees into your chest so that your tailbone raises off the ground.
- At the same time, perform a traditional crunch, lifting your shoulder blades off the floor.
- Use your abs to lift your head and shoulders. Do not use your hands.
- Slowly lower your back in a downward position.
- Do not slam your body back down.
- Focus on squeezing those abs.
- Repeat the movement and increase momentum.
- It builds core strength which results in an increase in overall strength.
- The crunch helps flatten the stomach and improve overall metabolism.
- Increases balance and posture of the body.
- It increases muscular growth around the lower spine.
Routine 2 – Crunch
The crunch is among the most common abdominal exercises and should be an integral part of your 10 minute abs workout routine at home.
- Lie your back on the floor.
- Bend your knees with the heels of your feet only a few inches from your buttocks.
- Place your hands lightly on either side of your head.
- Do not lock your fingers behind your head.
- Lift your shoulders towards the ceiling using your abdominal muscle.
- Hold for one or two seconds when you feel an intense pressure in the abdominal muscle.
- Slowly ease back down as you inhale.
- Repeat movement.
- It targets the abdominal muscle and strengthens it.
- Improves balance and posture
- It helps in burning a few calories
Routine 3: Scissor Kicks
Scissor kicks are effective abdominal exercises that should be part of your daily 10 minute abs workout routine at home. It targets the hip flexors muscle and the transverse abdominis muscle. The transverse abdominis muscle is the deepest muscle in the stomach.
- Lie on the ground with your face up
- Place your hands by your sides or underneath your glutes
- Slightly bend your knees
- Raise you’re your legs off the ground about half a foot for your starting position
- Keep your legs straight with your knees slightly bent.
- Lift your legs upward until it is at a 45-degree angle with your toe pointing to the ceiling.
- Lower the leg that is raised while raising the other leg that is lowered.
- Keep your heels a few inches off the ground always.
- Continue to alternate legs in this scissor fashion always.
Note – The higher your upper body is, the more challenging the exercise.
- It builds strength in your core muscles.
- Helps you maintain proper posture.
- Protects your spine and reduces your risk of back pain.
- It develops several muscle groups in your torso and hips.
Routine 4 – Russian Twists
The name may sound scary but the Russian Twist is not as complicated as it sounds. It is a simple exercise that is suitable for both beginners and advanced. It targets your oblique and engages your back muscles.
- Lie on the floor with your legs bent at the knees.
- Elevate your upper body so that it creates a V shape with your thighs.
- Twist your torso to the right while breathing out.
- Hold the contraction for a second and twist back to the left.
- Repeat movement.
- It strengthens your abdominal muscles.
- Helps to tone and tighten your abs and obliques.
- Russian twist helps to trim your waist.
- It also helps to improve your balance, stability, and posture.
Routine 5 – Mountain Climbers
Mountain climbers are great total body exercise and should be an essential component of your 10 minute abs workout routine at home. The exercise challenges your body’s major muscle groups. It engages your abdominal, buttocks and thigh muscles with other body muscles assisting in the movement.
- Start in a plank position with your arms and legs long.
- Keep your abs pulled in and your body straight.
- Squeeze your glutes and pull your shoulders away from your ear.
- Pull your right knee into your chest.
- Alternate and pull the left knee into your chest while pushing your right leg back.
- Continue to switch knees simultaneously.
- It builds your upper body strength.
- The fast repetition of the knees helps to keep the heart healthy.
- It increases your core strength
Read Next :7 Best Abs Exercises to Get a Six Pack Ab in a Month
Routine 6 – Bicycle Crunch
According to the American Council on Exercise (ACE), the bicycle crunch is a superb core workout that targets all kinds of abdominal muscles including the external obliques. Bicycle crunch has been proven effective and should be a part of your daily 10 minute abs workout routine at home.
- Lie your back on the floor with your legs stretched out and your arms outstretched at your sides.
- Place your hands behind your head with your thumbs behind your ears.
- Lift one leg off the ground making sure your thighs are perpendicular to the ground and your calves are in parallel position to the ground.
- Lift your head up and touch your right elbow with your left knee while pulling your knee up towards your head.
- Use your abdominal muscles to crunch your body forward so that your elbow can reach your knee.
- Tense your leg muscles and make sure your feet do not rest on the ground.
- Alternate and touch your left elbow to your right knee.
- Repeat movement in sets of 10-20 cycles.
- It builds abdominal strength.
- Builds strength in the thighs
- Helps to stretch and tone up the hamstring muscles.
- It firms the hip muscles and burns off extra fat from the hips.
- Also, the chest muscles are built and toned up.
Routine 7 – Spider Plank
The spider plank is a bodyweight exercise that targets the core muscles and the upper body muscles.
- Start in a low plank position with your body in a straight line.
- Make sure your elbows are bent and under your shoulders with your feet hip-width apart.
- Draw your right knee to your right elbow.
- Withdraw your right leg back and return to starting position.
- Repeat on the left side.
- It gets the heart pumping and the blood flowing.
- Burns off extra calories from the body.
- It improves your balance and strengthens your muscles.
Routine 8 – Plank with Hip Twist
This is a Pilates exercise that targets the obliques, abdominal muscles and the lower back. It is recommended to include this routine in your 10 minute abs workout routine at home.
- Start in a plank position with your elbows bent and your stomach off the mat.
- Tighten your abdominals by pushing your stomach up towards your spine.
- Twist your left hip till it slightly touches the floor.
- Then return to the plank position.
- Repeat on the right side.
- It develops your core strength.
- Tightens and trims down your waist.
- It also increases your coordination and flexibility.
Routine 9 – Raise Legs Crunch
Raise legs crunch is a variation of the traditional crunch we mentioned earlier. Mixing up the crunch styles is a good way to work all the stomach muscles. This routine activates the lower and middle abdominal muscle.
- Lie on your back with your hands behind your head.
- Raise both legs in the air.
- Ensure your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Your thighs must be perpendicular to the floor.
- Slowly, raise your upper body toward your knees by lifting your shoulder blades off the floor.
- Tighten your ab muscles and hold for a second.
- Slowly, lower your body back to the starting position.
- Repeat movement.
- It strengthens your abs while minimizing the risk of hurting the spine.
- It activates the abs muscles faster than the regular crunches.
Read Next – 7 Best Yoga Exercises for Weight Loss & Flat Belly
Routine 10 – Up and Down Plank
This routine is a combination of both Planks and Push Ups. It targets the arms, core and abs muscle. Up and Down Plank should be an important component of your everyday routine.
- Start in a plank position with your wrists under your shoulders and your feet hip-width apart.
- Lower your left elbow and place it on the mat, and then your right elbow, also placing it on the mat, coming into an elbow plank.
- Place your left hand on the mat and straighten the left arm.
- Also, place your right hand on the mat and straighten the right arm.
- Switch sides and repeat the up and down movement.
Read– Ab Workouts for Women at Home -10 Killer Ripped ab Exercises
- It strengthens and tones your core, arms, glutes, wrists, and shoulders.
- Helps to improve your posture.
- It also tightens your midsection.
- Boosts weight loss.
For more Details Watch Chloe Ting – Intense Abs Workout Routine Video
The above routines should be part of your daily 10 minute abs workout routine. Each routine should be done within a minute. Repeat the process daily with patience and dedication. A flat stomach does not happen overnight. You will be successful at streamlining your waistline with the proper execution of the routines, dedication and a healthy diet.