How to Stop Snoring Naturally- Snoring is a widespread problem often encountered by people whose breathing gets obstructed during sleep. That horrible sound that you make when you are asleep can lead to serious problems if not timely checked. Snoring has destroyed relationships and has made many people the butt of a joke.
If you snore, well you are not alone. More than 45% of the adult population snores occasionally(1). It is actually a natural occurrence that arises as a result of the relaxed state of your throat when you sleep.
Snoring only gets dangerous when it’s frequent and severe. If it’s severe, it can cause a disturbance in sleep patterns thereby, leading to insomnia. In addition, it can lead to irritability in both the snorer and the person lying right next to him or her.
Snoring could also be a symptom of sleep apnea(2). According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), sleep apnea is a life-threatening condition that often goes undiagnosed. It is a common disorder in which you have one or more in breathing while you sleep.
Alternatively, a shallow breathing during sleep can also be an indication of sleep apnea. NHLBI further stated that snoring is the most common type of sleep apnea (3).
An untreated sleep apnea can lead to a number of life-threatening situations. According to the NHLBI, it can increase the risk of high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes and heart attack. It can also increase the risk of heart failure.All hope is not lost though as we can combat the horrible habit of snoring with little or no cost attached.
Causes of Snoring
- Mouth anatomy.
- Alcohol consumption.
- Chronic nasal congestion.
- Not getting enough sleep.
- Sleep position.
- Obstructive sleep apnea.
Some people will claim to provide you with an anti-snore ring, though its effectiveness is still in dispute in various quarters. We have compiled a list to help you answer the important question on how to fix snoring. Below is a list of 12 natural snoring remedies that can help you stop snoring permanently.
How to Stop Snoring Naturally and Permanently- 12 Home Remedies
1.Change your Sleeping Position
If you are used to lying on your back, it’s high time you stopped it. Lying on your back while you sleep can contribute to your snoring problems. Sleeping in this position will cause your tongue and soft palate to rest against the back of your throat. Thereby blocking the airway and causing you to snore.
This technique applies to those whose snoring problem is not severe. A simple trick to stop snoring is to change your sleeping position. It is recommended that you sleep sideways as it helps you on how to fix snoring problem.
2. How to Stop Snoring by Using Peppermint
Peppermint is an excellent choice as it contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help to ease the swelling of the membrane lining in the throat and nostrils. It is effective in promoting smooth and easy breathing.
- Add about 1-2 drops of essential oil of peppermint in a glass of water.
- Gargle before you go to bed every night.
- Do not swallow the mixture.
- Alternatively, you can rob some peppermint oil underneath your nose and side of your nostrils every night before going to bed.
Inhaling steam will also help you to reduce nasal congestion. Nasal congestion is one of the major contributing factor to snoring. Inhaling steam can help you clear the nose.
- Boil about 3-4cups of water.
- Pour the boiling water into a large bowl.
- Add 3-4 drop of tea tree.
- Hold a towel over your head and inhale the steam for about 10-15 minutes.
- Follow this routine every day until you nose is cleared.
4. How to Stop Snoring with Clarified Butter
Clarified Butter is known to have powerful medicinal properties that can help you open up blocked nasal passages (4). This will help you to have a healthy sleep and snore less. Clarified butter, also known as ghee, can be used to treat many diseases and snoring is no exception.
- Warm a small amount of clarified butter in a microwave.
- Make use of a dropper to add in about 3 drops of clarified butter in each of your nostrils.
- Repeat this process daily before going to bed and after waking up the following morning.
This one of the best home remedies on how to stop snoring. Turmeric is a powerful antiseptic and antibiotic and anti-inflammatory agent. It can help ease inflammation and reduce snoring. Do not consume turmeric alone. Mix turmeric with milk to get the desired effect. This solution will help you to breathe without hindrance when you sleep. You also get the added advantage of boosting your immune system.
- Add two teaspoons of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk.
- Drink it about 30-45 minutes before going to bed.
- Repeat the routine once every day until you notice the desired effect.
Cardamom is a popular spice that can be seen in almost every major dish prepared in your home. The spice originated in India, Nepal, and Bhutan. It has so many benefits which include preventing gastrointestinal diseases, serves as an anti-depressant, good for cardiovascular health, has antimicrobial, anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.
In addition, Cardamom serves as an expectorant and decongestant that helps in opening up your nasal passages. It helps you to breathe better and gets rid of snoring.
- Add ½ a teaspoon of cardamom powder to a glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution about 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Repeat the process every night.
- You should have patience with this method as it might take a few days before you see the desired effect.
If your snoring is seasonal, that is, you only snore at a particular time of a year, it may be due to some certain allergies. These seasonal allergies can cause the inflammation of your nasal passages.
Nettle is known to have anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties that can help treat snoring that arises as a result of seasonal allergies.
- Add one tablespoon of dried nettle leaves to a cup of boiling water.
- Leave it to steep for about 5 minutes and then, drain.
- Drink the warm tea just before vacating to bed.
- Drink 2-3 cups of nettle leaf tea during the allergy season to stop storing permanently.
8. How to Stop Snoring Using Garlic
Garlic is a necessary ingredient in every kitchen. Garlic has an amazing health benefit and helping to stop snoring is also one of them. It helps to reduce mucus buildup in the nasal passageway. It also has amazing anti-inflammatory properties and helps to reduce inflammation.
- Chew down on about 1-2 raw garlic cloves.
- Top it with a glass of water.
- Perform this routine daily before bedtime to reduce snoring.
- You can also add garlic while preparing your dinner and make sure you eat the food while it’s hot.
9. How to Stop Snoring With Honey
Who doesn’t love honey? Honey is famous for its sweet taste and its amazing health and beauty benefits. It has anti-inflammatory properties which can help to reduce the swelling around your throat. This swelling often causes obstruction to your airways.
- Add one tablespoon of honey to a glass of warm water.
- Ensure you drink it before you vacate your bedroom.
- Repeat this routine daily.
- You can also add honey to your herbal tea.
10. How to Stop Snoring by Using Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is famous for its anti-inflammatory properties that can help ease inflammation and stop snoring. It also relaxes tensed muscles and nerves around your throat. Chamomile helps you to get a quality sleep and is one of the most effective ways to prevent snoring.
- Add a tablespoon or chamomile flowers to a cup of water.
- You can also use chamomile tea bag.
- Boil the mixture for about 15 minutes.
- Drain and add one teaspoon of honey.
- Drink the warm tea before going to bed.
- Repeat this routine daily.
11. Soy Milk
You can also treat snoring by consuming soy milk. For those that love to drink cow milk every day or before going to bed, you might want to think again. Cow milk is known to cause snoring and consuming it might just make your snoring continue no matter what remedy you try.
Instead, you can substitute your consumption of cow milk for soy milk. It serves as a worthy alternative to cow milk. Even if you don’t have cow milk in your diet, consuming soy milk will still be a good idea as it has amazing health benefits.
- Drink a glass of soy milk before going to bed.
- You can repeat this routine daily.
12. Sage Herbal
Sage herbal is an effective natural home remedy for snoring in both adults and children. It is known for its anti-diabetic, anti-hypertensive, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Sage herbal will help to reduce inflammation and clear mucus congestion in your airways.
- Get a handful of sage leaves and put them in a boiling water.
- Take a towel to cover your head and bring your head close to the pot.
- Be careful as your head does not need to be in the closest proximity to the pot because it can make your skin burn.
- Inhale the steam with your mouth and nose as long as you can endure.
- You can add a little drop of apple cider vinegar before inhaling.
- Remove the towel from your head once the water cools off.
Note: If you are experiencing any kind of seizure disorder, do not make use of sage herbal to cure your snoring.
Recommended Anti Snoring Product– Anti Snoring by BRISON
This product does a great job, it helped me sleep well, and my husband says it’s comfortable and doesn’t cause any irritation to his skin.
Your daily routines can also contribute to your snoring problems. You can also change your lifestyle to get the maximum benefits from the natural remedies for snoring listed above. You should consider giving up smoking, avoid alcohol, and clean our bedroom regularly. In addition, you should drink enough water to keep your body and throat hydrated.
Also, if you notice that your snoring problems began we you started adding some body weight, then you should consider losing some weight. Snoring can be annoying, dangerous and destructive. It is best to get rid of it as quick as possible.