Exercises to Lose Belly Fat– Belly fat or abdominal fat or stomach fat poses a serious danger to the health, especially when it is in excess. It can cause health problems like heart diseases, stroke, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. People with excess belly fat also tend to have low self-confidence. Belly fat doesn’t make you look good thereby affecting your overall beauty.
You need to tackle this problem to stay healthy and look good at all times. You can reduce your belly fat by abstaining from some kinds of sugary foods and sticking to low-carb foods, vegetables, and foods with high fiber content.
But many will agree with me that the most effective way to lose stomach fat is by exercising. Regular exercising helps to reduce your waistline and remove belly fat.
The main focus of this article is to provide you with simple exercises to lose belly fat at home.
How to Measure Belly Fat?
Studies show that excess belly fat can lead to cardiovascular diseases and is not healthy for individuals (1). It is therefore important for you to monitor your belly fat regularly and keep it in check when necessary. Below are ways you can use to measure your waistline to determine if your belly fat is normal or excess:
- Waist To Hip Ratio
Measure the broadest area of your hip and the narrowest area of your wrist. Then divide the values to get your waist-hip ratio. If your ratio is 0.8 or above, then you have excess belly fat and you are the risk of having cardiovascular diseases.
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
Body Mass Index is the ratio of your weight in kilograms (kg) divided by the square of your height in meters (m). If your BMI is between 24.9 and 30, then you are overweight. And if your BMI ratio is more than 30, then you are obese. If you fall under any of these categories, you need to reduce your belly fat to stay free from health challenges.
- Waist Circumference
Measure your waistline using a tape. Do this at the level of your navel. You should breathe normally when you are taking the measurement. If your waist size is more than 34 inches, then you are at a risk of catching chronic heart disease.
Causes of Excess Belly Fat
Several factors like poor diet, unhealthy lifestyle, lack of exercise and so on lead to excess fat around your abdominal area. Some of the major causes of excess belly fat include:
- Weak Metabolism
- Hormonal Changes in women
- Diseases like hypertension, breast cancer, diabetes, colorectal cancer, stroke, etc.
- Sagging Muscles around your abdominal area
- Lack of regular exercise, or not exercising at all
Having excess fat in your abdominal area comes with a lot of health challenges. So whenever you notice your belly fat is in excess, you should take steps to get rid of it. A healthy lifestyle, eating right, drinking a lot of water and exercising regularly are ways to reduce belly fat.
However, for this article, we will be concentrating on exercises that will help you get rid of excess belly fat.
Best Exercises to Lose Belly Fat Fast
If you are really uncomfortable with your belly fat then you should try these 10 simple exercises to lose belly fat.
Crunches are the most effective exercises to reduce belly fat. This exercise is quick and effective. Crunches cut down belly fat by putting pressure on your abdominal muscles.
- Lie down flat on a mat with your knees bent and your feet touching the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head or keep them crossed just over your chest.
- Take a deep breath (inhale deeply) and lift your upper body off the floor, then exhale. You need to exhale when you are lifting your body.
- You inhale again when your body goes back to the floor and exhale when you lift it up again.
- When you bring your body back to its original position you need to inhale. Once you come up you need to exhale.
- Repeat 10 times and then repeat for 2 or 3 more sets.
When lifting your upper body, lift your back just a few inches from the floor to prevent it from getting hurt.
Do not move your head quickly in different directions when lifting your upper body. It may cause pain in your neck. Preferably, place your hands behind your head while performing the exercise.
2) Reverse Crunches
This is another effective exercise that will help you lose stomach fat at home. It focuses on your side muscles.
- Lie down flat with your back on the floor or on a mat.
- Raise your knees with your feet firmly placed on the floor.
- Place your hands on either side of your body.
- Push your feet in a way that your thighs are perpendicular to the floor and your feet are off the floor.
- Then lift your back from the floor such that your knees are bending towards your chest.
- Inhale when you place your feet on the floor and exhale when you lift your back and move your knees towards your chest.
- Repeat 10 times for 2 consecutive sets.
Keep your back straight when you are performing this exercise, as arching can lead to pain or even injury.
3) Vertical Leg Crunch
- Lie down on a mat, extending your legs towards the ceiling, crossing one knee over the other.
- Repeat the steps for the crunch exercise.
- Inhale deeply when you lift and cross the knees and exhale when you move your upper body towards your knees.
- Repeat 10 to 15 times and do it for 3 consecutive sets.
As a beginner, repeat the exercise routine only for a few times. Overdoing it at the beginning can lead to pains in your legs.
4) Bicycle Exercise
No, you don’t need a bicycle to perform this exercise. This exercise helps you to lose weight around your abdomen area. Bicycle exercise reduces stomach fat by applying pressure on your stomach muscles.
- Lie flat on a mat or on the floor and keep your hands on either side of your head.
- Then lift your legs from the floor, bending them at your knees.
- Move your right knee close to your chest and keep your left leg away.
- Then take your right leg away and move your left leg close to your chest.
- Continue doing this as if you are actually paddling a real bicycle.
- Repeat 10-12 times for both the sides and for 2 consecutive sets.
- Keto Diet Plan Recipes That Will Make You Lose Weight in 7 Days
- Weight Loss Workout Plan-7 Days Fat Burning Workout Plan for Beginners
- Weight Loss Soup Recipes and 9 Rapid Weight Loss Diet That Work
- Protein Shakes for Weight Loss – 5 Healthy Best Meal Replacement
- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Drink Recipe ( Honey, Cinnamon, and Lemon) for Fat Burning – Drink this Early in the Morning and Before Going to Bed at Night
- DIY Body Wraps for Weight Loss, Detox and Getting Rid of Cellulite
5) Rolling Plank Exercise
This is a great exercise for your abdomen, hip, and lower back areas.
- Take your position on the floor or a mat in a way that both your elbows and knees are on the floor.
- Look forward so as to align your neck with your spine.
- Then lift your knees up, now supporting your legs on your toes.
- Keep your knees in plank pose for 30 seconds by contracting your knees. Ensure you breathe normally during this routine.
- Now move to and fro for the next 30 seconds.
- Repeat this 2-3 times.
6) Leg Raise
Leg Raise exercise gives you a flat stomach and helps to tone your lower abdomen. It is a simple but effective exercise.
- Lie down flat on the floor or on a mat with your arms by your side and your feet placed on the floor.
- Raise your feet keeping your legs straight to the highest possible height.
- Stay in that position until you feel pressure in your abdomen.
- Repeat 20-25 times for 3 consecutive sets.
7) Knee Lift
Knee lift exercise helps to get rid of your big waistline. It reduces body fat by putting pressure on your abdomen.
- Stand upright with your feet placed on the floor.
- Lift up your hands and keep them straight.
- Then bend your hands to your elbow level and lift up your right knee still placing your left leg on the floor.
- Lift up your knees in a way that it touches your palms.
- Repeat the same with left knee.
- Repeat 10-15 times each for 3 consecutive sets.
8) Stomach Vacuum
This is a low impact exercise for reducing belly fat. It is suitable for beginners. Stomach vacuum focuses mainly on your breathing and works mainly on your abdomen.
- Go down on the floor on all fours by supporting your body on your hands and knees.
- Inhale deeply to ensure that your abdomen is loose.
- Now exhale, holding your abs tight during exhalation.
- Hold your abdomen contraction for 15-40 seconds.
- Repeat this routine 15 times for 3 consecutive sets.
9) Captain’s Chair
You need a chair to perform this exercise. It is a simple exercise that helps you to reduce belly fat.
- Sit down on a chair with an upright spine and straight shoulders.
- Place your hands on either side with your palms facing downwards. Inhale deeply.
- As you exhale, move your legs upwards in a way that your knees come very close to the chest.
- Stay in this position for about 10 seconds. Don’t bend forward or arch your back when your knees are close to your chest.
- Now move your legs back to the floor.
- Repeat this process 15 times for 2-3 consecutive sets.
10) Boat Pose
- Lie down on the floor or on a mat with your feet joined together side by side and your arms placed by your side.
- Lift your chest and feet away from the floor and exhale, stretching your arms towards your feet.
- Continue by raising your feet above your head level.
- Let your entire body weight rest on your buttocks. You will begin to feel pressure on your muscles.
- Ensure that your fingers, toes, and feet align in one line.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds, still in this position.
- Exhale slowly as you bring your body back to a normal position.
- Repeat 10-15 times for 2-3 consecutive sets.
Beginners may find the boat pose exercise difficult at the beginning. They should not overdo it so as to avoid injuries.
Cardio Exercises to Lose Belly Fat
You can also try cardio exercises to lose belly fat. In fact, these exercises are simple, quick and effective and can help you lose belly fat in 1 week.
Cardio exercises to get rid of belly fat include:
- How to Get Rid of Lower Belly Fat Fast-Lower Belly Workout ; Healthy Diets
- 10 Minute Abs Workout Routine At Home -10 Intense Flat Stomach Exercise
- How to Get a Flat Stomach in a Week Fast and Maintain It
- 14 Quick Tips on How To Get Rid of Belly Fat Fast without Exercise
- How to Get Rid of Lower Belly Fat Fast-Lower Belly Workout & Healthy Diets
Follow the exercises to lose belly fat highlighted above and get your body back in shape. The good thing is these exercises can help you lose stomach fat at home. You don’t have to go to the gym or employ a personal trainer! Just ensure you repeat them on a daily basis till you start to see desired results.
With determination and strict adherence to these exercises, you should be able to lose belly fat in 1 week.