Home Remedies for Whiter Teeth -It is a common knowledge that many people usually conceal their teeth in public or pictures because they are embarrassed over their yellow teeth. Having yellow teeth can be embarrassing, hence the increase in the number of people using teeth-whitening products.
Having great teeth is important in today’s world. They are one of the first things people notice about you. A sparkling set of white teeth is a sign of good health. They boost your confidence and helps you make a good first impression. Everyone wants to be able to have a good smile without the embarrassing thought of discolored teeth. However, the most important question is, “What is the best way to whiten your teeth?”
No matter the number of times some people brush daily, their teeth are always stuck with stains. This might be from daily habits like drinking coffee or smoking. Luckily, many products exist that can help whiten your teeth. However, these teeth-whitening products make use of chemicals to bleach your teeth.
If you want whiter teeth without all the chemicals involved, then this article is for you. Below are 9 home remedies for whiter teeth that you can use. These natural home remedies for whiter teeth are devoid of chemicals and are safe to use. Listed with each ingredient are the directions on how to use them.
How to Get Rid of Yellow Teeth Fast! 9 Best Home Remedies for Whiter Teeth
1.Whiter Teeth with Baking Soda
Baking soda is a popular ingredient that is used in commercial toothpaste. Its great natural whitening abilities makes it one of the best home remedies for whiter teeth. It is effective at scrubbing away stains on your teeth. Researchers have also found out that baking soda helps prevent the growth of bacteria in your mouth (1).
Over timee, you should notice the effect of baking soda on your teeth. Below is the direction on how to use baking soda with your toothpaste for whiter teeth.
- Begin by mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of water.
- Use this paste to brush your teeth.
- You can do this few times weekly.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Whiter Teeth
The Apple Cider Vinegar has been used for many years as a natural cleaning agent and a disinfectant. It contains acetic acid, which is effective at killing bacteria. This same acetic acid is responsible for whitening your teeth and cleaning your mouth.
However, you must be careful and make sure you do not use the Apple Cider Vinegar every day. You should also ensure that it is only in contact with your teeth as it can erode the enamel. Follow the directions below to use one of the most effective home remedies for whiter teeth.
- You can use it as a mouthwash by diluting it with water and just swish it around your mouth for some minutes.
- Thereafter, rinse your mouth with water.
3. Make use of Hydrogen Peroxide
Just like baking soda, hydrogen peroxide also has natural bleaching properties. In addition to its bleaching properties, it also eliminates bacteria from your mouth (2). It has been used for decades as a disinfectant for wounds because of its bacteria killing abilities.
Most of the commercial teeth-whitening products contain hydrogen peroxide. Many toothpastes also combine hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. However, you should be careful not to overuse hydrogen peroxide. The use of strong concentrations can cause tooth sensitivity and gum irritations.
- Use about 1.5% to 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash before you brush your teeth
- You can also mix about 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide and 1 teaspoon of baking soda to make a paste.
- Use this mixture to brush your teeth gently.
- You should not overuse hydrogen peroxide. Limit the use to just a few times a week.
4. Strawberries, Pineapples and Vegetables
Certain vegetables and fruits have the ability to help whiten your teeth. A daily diet that includes a substantial amount of fruits and vegetables is not only beneficial for your body but can also help whiten your teeth. Though, there is no substitute for brushing your teeth, raw fruits and vegetables have the potential to rub plaque away as your mouth chew on them.
Two fruits have stood out over the years as effective home remedies for whiter teeth. Strawberries and pineapples have been claimed to help whiten the teeth. Celebrities use a mixture of strawberry and baking soda to help whiten the teeth. Users have claimed that strawberries will remove the discoloration on your teeth and the baking soda will clear away stains.
Pineapple, on the other hand contains bromelain, an enzyme that is effective at clearing tooth stain than your regular toothpaste.
- Begin by smashing up a fresh strawberry and mix it with baking soda.
- Use this mixture to brush your teeth.
- Ensure you only use this few times per week.
5. Coconut Oil Pulling
You’ve definitely heard a lot about coconut oil but you might not have heard of its teeth-whitening powers. Some people attest that coconut oil pulling made their teeth whiter and healthier by applying the oil to their teeth after brushing.
Coconut oil also has antimicrobial properties making it effective for cleaning and protecting your gums. Be rest assured, research has found that edible oil-pulling therapy is natural and safe, with no side effects (3). Follow the directions below to use coconut oil pulling for whiter teeth.
- Put one spoon of coconut oil into your mouth and swish it around for about 5-20 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can add a few drops on your toothbrush and brush your teeth with it.
- You can also apply the coconut oil to a side of a clean washcloth and use it to rub on your teeth.
6. Citrus Fruits
So many people swear that citrus fruits like lemon or orange peels actually helps to whiten their teeth. Some people also use the lemon essential oil because it contains many beneficial acids. These fruits will benefit your body greatly and they will make you very healthy. They aid digestion but you must be careful not to use too much. If used aggressively, it can wear off the enamel on your teeth because of its high acid content.
- Gently rub the white side of the orange peels all over your teeth. If you like, you can add table salt.
- This table salt will serve as a scrub and whiten your teeth effectively.
- Alternatively, you can create a powder using dried orange peels mixed with dried bay leaves.
- Dampen this mixture and rub it on your teeth.
- You must ensure that you always rinse your mouth after using orange peel, for you to be on the safe side.
7. Salt for Whiter Teeth
Also known as sodium chloride, common salt has been used for decades as a cleansing agent. In addition to helping to whiten your teeth, it also replenishes the lost mineral content in your teeth. Follow the directions below to use one of the best home remedies for whiter teeth.
- Use table salt regularly every morning as a tooth powder, serving as an alternative to your toothpaste.
- You can decide to also mix table salt with baking soda and rub it gently on your teeth.
- Common salt can also be mixed with charcoal to brush your teeth every morning.
- Be careful when using table salt as it can damage your gums and tooth enamel if not carefully used.
8. Eating Apples
Apples are great at whitening your teeth. Chewing down on a crunchy apple can help scrub your teeth just like a toothpaste and make them whiter at the same time. You can enjoy the benefit of a nutritious and delicious fruit that also serves as one of the best home remedies for whiter teeth.
- Eating one or two apples daily will help to eliminate those yellow stains on your teeth.
- Make sure you chew it well so the fiber-rich rough flesh and its acidic nature have enough time to work on your teeth.
9. Charcoal for Whiter Teeth
As black as it looks, charcoal is one of the best home remedies for whiter teeth. Charcoal has been used for centuries as one of the best known home remedies for whiter teeth. It contains a very effective crystal-based chemical that helps to whiten your teeth. The interesting thing is you can also use burnt rosemary and some ashes of burnt bread to help whiten your teeth.
- Begin by mixing some charcoal powder together with the commercial toothpaste and brush your teeth gently with it.
- You can do this two times daily.
- Best 11 Home Remedies for Tooth Pain that Works
- Homemade Toothpaste with Coconut Oil & Health benefits
Everyone wants to have a beautiful smile with sparkling white teeth. If you are worried about your yellow teeth, the above home remedies for whiter teeth are your best bet. These remedies are cheap and some are even readily available in your kitchen. Give it some time and you will notice some changes in the color of your teeth.