Home Remedies For Common Cold– It can be very difficult to treat a common cold. You may end up spending hundreds of dollars on doctor’s visits and medications. That is definitely something you would want to avoid.
Common colds are infections that are caused by various viruses. There are a number of symptoms associated with common cold.
Common Cold Symptoms
Some of these symptoms include;
It is advisable to treat a cold before it results in other infections like pneumonia, bronchitis and strep throat.
Many natural home remedies can help you treat common cold and alleviate the symptoms. These remedies have been in use for hundreds and thousands of years to help combat cold and flu. We have carefully selected 10 home remedies for common cold that can help you get through the infection. These home remedies for common cold offer effective relief from the various symptoms.
10 Home Remedies For Common Cold: Get Rid of Common Overnight!
There are many natural treatments that are effective for treating common cold. These home remedies for common cold can also help to prevent you from catching cold. Be rest assured, these home remedies for common cold have been in use for years and are still regarded as a safe and effective way to treat cold and flu.
Listed below are the natural home remedies with directions, you can use to fight off cold. Keep reading to see what cold natural remedies you can prepare at home;
1.Honey for Common Cold
Honey has been used for decades to fight a cough. It contains numerous antioxidant and antibacterial properties that work effectively well to fight cold. Honey also has a high amount of enzymes and nutrients that will destroy the viruses and bacteria that cause cold.
- Begin by mixing 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Drink this mixture every 2 hours until you get relieved.
- Alternatively, you can take a spoonful of raw honey.
2. Ginger for Common Cold Cure
Ginger has been used for centuries to treat a variety of diseases. Its great medicinal properties should make it an important part of your daily diet. It is rich in iron, phosphorus, vitamin C, calcium, and riboflavin that can help to combat common cold. This is one of the best home remedies for common cold and you should include it in your diet.
- You can drink ginger tea or eat raw ginger at several times daily.
- You can also mix things up and add honey and lemon juice to the ginger tea.
- Alternatively, you can make a paste of ginger, salt, and cloves. Eat ½ teaspoon of this twice daily.
- If you have a runny nose, you can mix combine equal amounts of dry ginger powder, jaggery, clarified butter, and a natural sweetener.
- Drink this daily every morning before you eat anything.
3. Garlic to Get Rid of Common Cold
Garlic is a very powerful ingredient that has antioxidant, antiviral, antimicrobial and antibiotic properties. It can also help you fight off cold with its expectorant and decongestant effects. This great ingredient also contains some enzymes, vitamin C, and minerals. Some of these minerals include selenium and sulphur. Your immune system and respiratory passages will definitely benefit from this.
- Begin by mixing a crushed garlic clove with two teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of red chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Use this every day until your symptoms reduce.
- Alternatively, you can boil about 4-5 chopped garlic cloves in a cup of water and mix it with a teaspoon of honey. Consume this about 2-3 times daily.
- Also, you can add some few drops of garlic oil to your food or drink.
- You can also eat the garlic raw.
4. Chicken Soup for Common Cold Relief
Chicken soup contains numerous vitamins and nutrients that can help to fight off common cold symptoms. It also has high antioxidant properties that will help accelerate the process of healing. This incredible soup will boost your immunity and increase your strength. It’s definitely one of the best home remedies for common cold you will find around.
You can go ahead and prepare that delicious homemade chicken soup. If you chose, you can mix things up with organic vegetables.
5. Red Onion Syrup
Red onion syrup is also one of the best home remedies for common cold. If you are suffering from cold, then red onion syrup is something you should try out. Follow the directions below to make a red onion syrup.
Red Onion Syrup Recipe for Common Cold
- Red Onions
- Honey or brown sugar
- Take about 1-3 red onions and slice them horizontally.
- Put a slice of the onion into a bowl and mix with raw honey. Repeat this process until your bowl is full.
- Now cover the bowl and leave it for about 12-15 hours.
- Open the bowl after 15 hours and drink a spoon of the formed syrup.
- Take this several times a day
6. Milk to Get Rid of Common Cold
Milk is famous for its rich mineral composition. Now add ginger powder and turmeric to the milk and you have yourself one of the best home remedies for common cold. This combination will fight off the cold and its associated symptoms like headache and body ache.
- Ginger Powder
- Boil the milk and add ½ tablespoon of ginger powder and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- You can also choose to use fresh ginger instead of ginger powder.
- Now allow the milk to cool to be able you drink it.
- Drink this two times daily.
7. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is one of the best and effective home remedies for common cold. It increases the white blood cells production and keeps the cold-causing viruses at bay. Vitamin C will also help reduce inflammation and mucus in your nasal passages.
There are many foods that are packed with vitamin C. These include lemons, oranges, strawberries, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, kiwi, and peaches among others. Grab one of these foods daily and you will be grateful you did.
You can also use vitamin C in the pill form if you prefer that.
Cinnamon will help you ease the pain you experience from a dry or sore throat. It is one of the most effective home remedies for common cold because of its wonderful healing properties. You should incorporate cinnamon into your daily diet.
- Begin by mixing one tablespoon of powdered cinnamon with two cloves in a cup of boiling water.
- Allow this to cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now strain and drink the mixture.
- You can decide to add honey to the mixture.
- Consume this 1-3 times daily.
- Alternatively, you can drink some drops of cinnamon bark oil mixed with honey.
9. Pepper for Common Cold Cure
Pepper is a popular and widely used ingredient that can be found in almost every home. It is readily available and can be used to treat common cold.
Pepper contains capsaicin and this helps thin the mucus (1). Capsaicin will provide you relief from congestion.
- Add pepper to your food when you eat a meal.
- Alternatively, you can add a teaspoon of black pepper to a glass of warm water and drink.
- For those who cannot drink or eat pepper, you can get the desired effect from smelling pepper all-through the day.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) for Common Cold
The apple cider vinegar is pretty incredible. In addition to its numerous health benefits, it can also help you to fight off common cold and flu. Apple Cider Vinegar helps to alkalize your body to make it more effective at combating cold and body fat. It makes your body unsuitable for the virus to survive. This is one of the most effective home remedies for common cold that you can find.
- One glass of warm water
- One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
These home remedies for common cold will help you get some relief from cold and flu. They will strengthen your body and boosts the immune system to fight off the virus that causes common cold.
You should try these home remedies for common cold before you decide to spend hundreds of dollars on over-the-counter medications. Make sure you always keep your throat hydrated. Drink plenty of water, herbal teas, ginger ale etc. Also, you definitely do not want to forget the delicious chicken soup. These natural remedies are safe, cost-effective and easy to prepare.
However, you should make sure you consult your physician if the cold lasts longer than 2 weeks.